April 4, 2013
MLB.com Seeking Stats Stringer for Cleveland
For those interested in working in baseball, this comes courtesy of our friends at MLB.com...
MLB.com, the official web site of Major League Baseball, is seeking a stats stringer to cover the Cleveland Indians in 2013 and beyond.
Stats stringers are responsible for digitally scoring games from the MLB ballparks, which provides the data used in the live content applications on MLB.com, including Gameday and MLB.TV, real-time highlights and text alerts, and by our business partners. This is a perfect part-time job for a diligent, responsible employee who happens to be a big baseball fan.
• Arrive at the ballpark no later than one hour prior to the scheduled start time;
• Double-check and verify all pre-game information: rosters, umpires, weather conditions, etc.;
• During the game, enter the results of every pitch and game event (plays, substitutions, etc.) using our proprietary software and coding language;
• Work closely with our game-night support staff (via AOL Instant Messenger) to ensure proper scoring of all game events and accuracy of data;
• After the game, enter all post-game information: winning and losing pitcher, saves, holds, time and attendance
• Validate all stats in software box score against the official >box score provided by the Official Scorer, and print out a final box score and game text for the club PR staff
• Previous experience (including pressbox exposure) with a professional or college sports team, preferably baseball;
• Exceptional (and demonstrable) knowledge of baseball and how to score a baseball game;
• Strong computer proficiency (Windows OS and Windows-based software) and the ability to quickly learn and operate new software;
• Regular availability to attend games in-person as required by the schedule: weekdays, nights and weekends;
• A "team player" with a great attitude, including but not limited to a willingness to make and learn from mistakes and the ability to work closely and cooperatively (and take direction from) our game-night staff;
• Professionalism. It's a fun job and we pay people to watch baseball, but it's also an important job and we want people who will take the responsibility seriously.
(New stringers undergo an 8-10 week correspondence training program, and co-score several practice games in the ballpark with a returning stringer, before scoring any games solo in the ballpark.)
Those interested in applying should send a resume and cover later, addressing the above-listed qualifications, to firstname.lastname@example.org
ONLY those who reply to this e-mail address will be considered, and due to volume, we may be unable to respond to all applicants.
Thanks and good luck!