May 10, 2013
TrackMan Seeks Web Developer of Baseball Applications
Our good friends at TrackMan are looking for help. Check out the job description below, and if you're interested and qualified, email your resume in Word format with sample work to email@example.com. Sample work should detail your contribution if not solely developed by you. Let the guys know Baseball Prospectus sent you!
TrackMan Inc. is seeking a qualified web developer with a passion for sports and an entrepreneurial spirit to join our team as a Developer of Baseball Applications. This is a ground floor opportunity in an established nimble company working at the intersection of sports and technology.
In this highly visible role you will take ownership of developing and porting web applications for the TrackMan’s 3D radar system, which accurately measures the complete trajectory and spin rate of both hit and pitched baseballs.
Your software will be used by:
· Major and minor League baseball teams and their minor league affiliates for player development and evaluation
· Broadcasters for editorial enhancements
· Equipment manufacturers for R&D and marketing
· Governing bodies for research and compliance.
The hire will be working with our applications developer in our US office and in close collaboration with a Denmark based development team, you will be responsible for developing and deploying new web interfaces for TrackMan Baseball products.
There is no template to follow because in many cases you will be breaking new ground. Your applications will often be used by highly skilled but non-technical people and success requires an attractive user interface that is easy to operate, and intuitive and actionable presentation of data in real-time and through a series of graphic reports.
To gain insights into the market, and all aspects of the practical applications of the software and usage scenarios, you will spend time in the field working with the end user and attending baseball events.
This is a great opportunity for a creative, independent thinker who likes challenges in a very fulfilling role.
TrackMan Inc. is a US based wholly owned subsidiary of Denmark based TrackMan A/S.
TrackMan A/S has developed a range of products for the golf market and is considered the gold standard in measurement of ball flight and swing path. TrackMan's golf products are used by top touring professionals, teaching pros, broadcasters and governing bodies.
TrackMan Inc., based in Stamford, CT, is responsible for the introduction of TrackMan technology into the baseball market. TrackMan Baseball has developed stadium based and portable 3D radar systems that provide actionable information in real-time and through intuitive reports. We have penetrated the highest levels of the game and are now preparing to expand into additional markets.
The culture at TrackMan is casual, non-hierarchical and creative with an open flow of ideas between departments to stimulate entrepreneurial behavior. We have a small and rapidly growing staff dedicated to creating a game changing technology. Our customers are the best in the world at what they do, and we aspire to the same level of performance.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Working with application and hardware developers to build interfaces for users and administrators.
· Porting existing interactive GUI for mobile and desktop.
· Creating real-time web based reporting for recorded baseball stats from multiple sources.
· Converting designs and concepts into working pages
· Must self-motivated, a quick learner, and able to adapt to a fast paced growing environment.
· BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
· Must provide samples of prior work - submissions without samples will not be considered
· Minimum 3 years’ experience.
· front-end performance
· HTML5 APIs
· Mobile platforms
· SQL / NoSQL
· Working with large data
· Excel and Access
· IT Support
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively
· Ability to work efficiently with a development team based overseas
· Ability to communicate efficiently with non-technical people
· Be comfortable working with and presenting to professional athletes
· Working knowledge of baseball
· Positive attitude and entrepreneurial spirit
· Experience competing at a competitive level in at least one sport is a plus
This is a full-time salaried position on premises in Stamford, CT. Please note, 1099 or corp-2-corp contractors will NOT be considered. We are unable to sponsor Visa's for this role. Principals only, No Recruiters. Please do not call about the position.
To apply please email resume in Word format with sample work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sample work should detail your contribution if not solely developed by you.